August 18, 2012

Meeting Degas

I had a painting lying around forever and ever that I hated intensely.  It had been through so many permutations I couldn't bear to think how to resolve it.  For more than a year it sat.

Then suddenly, today, out of nowhere: sudden inspiration.

I have misplaced the process photos from the original painting, so I must begin where I began today, with the first overlay.


Sometimes, there is nothing you can do to resolve a painting
other than just paint the fuck over it.


It freaks me out a little that I can still see her face in this one.


Channeling Degas and fellow artist S. Bertino...

S. Bertino
Acrylic
August 2012


It feels like the old lady is still in the painting, like her spirit contributes to the entire communicative experience of the painting as a whole.  I love that.

J-Chanandle put it quite nicely:

"That eye line is pure sex."

Thanks, J.  


Feeling really good about this one.

<3


No comments:

Post a Comment