June 28, 2012

New Apartment: Part II

We moved and then immediately took a vacation.

I do not recommend this.

Though, we did plan the vacation before we knew we were moving, so it's not completely our own bird-brained-ness.

The most unfortunate part of going on a vacation right after moving is coming home after having a wonderful and relaxed time only to discover the piles of crap have only just ... stayed there ... and not miraculously cleaned themselves.  I sulked about it for a while, then distracted myself by going to my Fred Meyer for the first time and then making something delicious for dinner: a beef stir-fry, served on a tiny table in the only spare patch of floor space we had.

We are going to be CIVILIZED, dammit.

And, I've walked to and from work twice this week, which is a little more than two miles each way.  These mornings are beautiful!  I know Portlanders are crying themselves to sleep every night because it's almost July and still cloudy, but MAN OH MAN these overcast mornings and warm, balmy afternoons are just pulling my freaking heart strings.  They are days that call for both walks outside to soak up the air, and drinking hot tea while sitting in a window.

Last night I made a FANTASTIC on-the-fly dinner borrowing a recipe I found in Better Homes & Gardens.  Well, I didn't follow it exactly, because I didn't have some things, had other things I needed to get rid of, and I honestly didn't feel right about paying four dollars for fresh basil leaves.  

Cooked up some sausages to go with the nice crunchy, cold number and voila: a meal to die for.


Also last night, we finally whipped the little front living room corner into some kind of shape

Extreme cozy!!!!!!

and slapped that computer desk/bookcase/painting/too many cords thing in the mouth.


So it's going well overall, though a little slow for my taste.  I can't really move around as quickly as I used to (I won't go into it) so I have to be more deliberate about my movements, but I'm starting to appreciate the value of going slowly, of chipping away at something little by little, of taking things one piece at a time.  Or, in this case, one box at a time.

It feels nice.  And I think my Boy prefers it this way because it speaks to his rather slow and deliberate Taurean nature.

Here's the progression so far, in case you're curious:
(And maybe you can't really tell much difference, but I CAN and that's what matters.)




CRAP.  Now that I'm looking at these side-by-side, they ALL LOOK THE SAME.  Arrrrrgggghhhh!

Whatever.  So be it.

You're just jealous.





1 comment:

  1. I love it! The built-in/shelves+yellow walls+hardwood = <3swoon!

    ps: I totally see progress in the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete