November 28, 2011

Paper Flowers: A How-Tulip


The other night after I finished making my recipe book, I got so sucked into the comfort and quaintness of the evening that I started various creative projects without much thought or planning.  My cohort and I started chit-chatting, joking, laughing, and being silly and ridiculous and the next thing I knew, I could not stop making paper tulips.  I began with the regular sized ones, then the next one was smaller, and the next even smaller, until I made the smallest paper tulip I could possibly make without making my fingers bleed.  Then I tried different colors, then different colored stems, then soon I had a veritable paper flower bouquet!

I learned how to make them last week while taking a Head Break at work.  Two of my female coworkers have daughters so I made them a couple tulips to (hopefully) delight them and brighten their day.  However, the instructions online are pretty crappy, so I decided to make my own How-To.

*ahem*

How to Make Paper Tulips

1.  Begin with an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of standard letter paper


2.  Fold the lower corner towards the top until the edges meet


3.  Cut or tear (if you are very clever at tearing) the excess piece of paper.  (We want to begin with a square piece of paper, but most folks don't have square pieces of paper laying around.)


4.  Remove the rectangle and set it aside


5.  Unfold the square.  It should have one diagonal fold


6.  Fold the lower left corner to the top-right corner to create another diagonal fold


7.  Unfold.  The folds should make an "X"



8.  Next, turn the whole thing over.  Once turned, the folds should be "facing" upward so that if the paper is not flat, it would make a tent or tee-pee.




9.  Then fold the lower edge upwards to the top edge



10.  Unfold.  The folds should make an "X" with a horizontal line through the middle


11.  Fold the right edge across to the left edge



12.  Unfold.  The folds should now make an "X" from corner to corner, and also a "+" sign from edge to edge.  The folds between corners should be "facing" upwards, while the folds between edges should be "facing" downwards, like so.


13.  Move the edge-to-edge folds down and the corner-to-corner folds up, then flatten to make a triangle.




14.  Fold the lower left corner upwards to the topmost point



15.  Repeat on the right side



16.  Flip the whole thing over and repeat previous two folds on the other side.






17.  Flip the left corner to the right and flatten



18.  Turn the whole thing over and flip the left corner to the right again, then flatten




19.  Bring the left and right corners together.  Insert one corner inside the fold of the other as far as it will go, then flatten



Whoops I did that sort of crappy.  Make yours nicer than mine.

20.  Turn the whole thing over and repeat on the other side




21.  Grip both tabs at the same time.  Pull gently as you blow into the small hole at the top of the flower.  The bud will inflate, like so.




22.  Curl the tops of the petals with your fingers or with a pencil



23.  To make the stem, find the scrap piece of paper from the very beginning.  Fold it in half lengthwise three times.
One
Two
Three
24.  Insert stem into the bottom hole of the bud.


25.  Voila!



Weeeeeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment