May 13, 2011

Rearrangement Derangement

I think my compulsion to rearrange furniture is getting worse. 

Or maybe I just never had the right opportunities until now.

After all, there aren’t many ways to arrange a bedroom when the width of the room itself is precisely the length of your bed.  And two of the four walls are windows.  And the third wall is all built-in closets.  And the final wall is the door.  There are about one-and-a-half ways to arrange a room like that.  In a weird way, I miss that room.

Sometimes I miss college, too. 

Granted, my apartment now is pretty small.  It’s perfect for one person and absolutely no more.  But it’s a good shape: a big open square with the kitchen along one side, bathroom in the back.  Lots of wall space, plenty of floor space, a mountain of possibilities. 

The urge hits me every few weeks or so.  I’ll get the bug to move something, just move something, for the sake of moving something.  Well, okay that’s not totally true.  I am trying to make things more efficient.  I want it to be better than it is now.  I try to utilize the space in the best possible way, combine function with Shui, maximize its potential.  So when I rearrange, the new setup is usually much better than the previous.  This is great!  This is the best it can possibly be!

But then the weeks pass, and I see it . . . I see that one thing . . . I see that old something in a new way and then it’s like little ticks on my brain tick tick tick tick and they won’t leave me alone tick tick tick tick until I just go to town on that dresser or that desk or that silly microwave situation that hasn’t been working for months.  Fix it fix it just fix it, just jonesin’ to destroy the room and pull it all back together again in a moment of frenzy and magic.

Ahhh.  Yes, that's it.  It’s the best it can possibly be!  It’s great!  Never will it be better than this! 

. . .

. .

.


Then . . .

Then  .  .  . 

That.  One.  Little.  Thing . . .

tick tick tick tick tick
fix it fix it fix it just fix it already


And then it just kind of starts all over again. 

Yes, this condition is definitely getting worse. 

Or better, depending how you look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment