April 23, 2013

An Evening Observation

I realized today why it is as if by magic that I have slipped into a very "bachelor" type of lifestyle, after starting to live alone again.  The most apparent of bachelor choices being the food I'm eating and the manner in which I prepare it.  On too many a night have I gorged on beer, Ramen and microwave eggrolls, not entirely understanding how in the known universe the eggrolls even made their way into my freezer in the first place and why I choose to devour them with such frequency.

I only realized today why this happens.

After taking a leisurely hour-and-a-half walk after work today (the sunshine is simply brilliant!), I came home to find I'd bought some groceries the night before, anticipating I would want something tasty for dinner tonight (that Pea, she knows me so well...) and, shockingly, I did want something tasty for dinner tonight.

I spent some wonderful time preparing delicious roasted broccoli, juicy savory turkey burgers, and a tangy spring mix salad with avocado, bell pepper, banana peppers, and an olive oil dressing.  Everything was done all at the same time, so the hot food was hot, the cold food was cold, and I was just beside myself with excitement.  (Food makes me very, very happy.)

I cleared a little edge on my round table that is piled (piled!) with stupid amounts of clutter.  By God, I am GOING to eat this beautiful dinner at my table tonight!  I put all the food on the table, opened my awesome windows, absorbed the gorgeous Spring air pouring in the back door, and dived in. 

Only...

An overwhelming sense of loneliness quickly set in.

This amazing meal, this spectacular breeze, a complete setting that is purely divine -- and nobody to enjoy it with.

Hmm.

And it dawned on me: putting a lot of energy into cooking a great meal isn't as fun as it could be, if you can't share it with anyone. 

Enter: frozen pot stickers, cans of tuna, and peanut butter sandwiches. 

It all makes sense now.

And while I recognize the mild inherent loneliness in eating a great meal alone, I do feel way better having eaten something healthy and homemade, rather than gross and fast-food.  Perhaps something on the Tube can be my companion for the meals to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment